Trinity Church - The Past

Trinity Church was formed in 1962 when three former congregations, Courthill, St.Andrew's and West, were merged into one, using what had been Courthill Church. Each former congregation had a distinct and different history. Courthill Church had begun as a Secession Church in its first building further up Courthill Street. When those premises became too small, the present Church building was built and opened for worship on 8th August, 1857. Ten years previously, the Secession Church had become The United Presbyterian Church. The second of the Churches was St. Andrew's Church. This had been a Free Church formed after the Disruption of 1843. The Established Church in Dalry did not disrupt but some of its members did, meeting initially in the former Anti-burgher Secession building and then erecting its own Church building and school on the site beside and including the Post Office at the top of Townend Street then known as Queen Street. The third congregation was the West Church. It had come into being after complaints from people unable to rent their own pew. It was part of the Relief Presbytery. Its building was situated in Sharon Street. In 1900, the United Presbyterians and the Free Church merged to form The United Free and in 1929 The United Free in turn joined the Established Church of Scotland. By 1962, St. Andrew's and West having already merged, it was increasingly the belief of the members of the now 2 congregations that they would be much stronger together. Very appropriately, the name Trinity Church was chosen and the new congregation began, under the ministry of the late Rev. Gavin McFadyen. The relative ease with which it was accomplished is a measure of his leadership. After 6 or so years, believing that what he had been called to do was completed, he accepted a new call to Glasgow and in November 1969, Rev. David Grant became minister. Following his retiral after 33 years of ministry in Dalry, Rev. Martin Thomson was inducted in November 2004.

Copyright © 2009 Dalry Trinity Church of Scotland